Type 2 Diabetes can be prevented!
Prediabetes does not have to become type 2 diabetes. Blood sugar levels can be brought back to normal with healthy lifestyle changes by:
Choosing a balanced diet or healthy eating plan helps maintaining a healthy weight. Here are some resources on eating healthy:
• Calfresh Healthy Living - provides information for healthy, low- cost recipes.
• EatFresh.org- provides healthy, low-cost recipes, meal plans and other healthy tips.
• Healthy Eating for Healthy Weight - includes information on planning meals, cutting calories, and healthy recipes.
Being More Active
Regular physical activity is important for good health. Here are some resources for more information about physical activity:
• American Heart Association: Getting Active - provides tips on increasing physical activity levels.
• Physical Activity for a Healthy Weight - provides more information
National Diabetes Prevention Program participants who lost 5-7% of their body weight and added 150 minutes of exercise per week cut their risk of developing type 2 diabetes by 58% (71% for people over 60 years old).2
• Losing Weight - this CDC website provides information on getting started on losing weight, improving your eating habits, and keeping weight off.
• Stress Management - American Heart Association
Joining a National Diabetes Prevention Program
To find out if you or a loved one is at risk for prediabetes:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Prediabetes: Your Chance to Prevent Type 2 Diabetes. https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/basics/prediabetes.html
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Diabetes Prevention Program - Why Participate? https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/prevention/why-participate.html