About Medical Marijuana Identification Card
The California Department of Public Health’s (CDPH) Medical Marijuana Identification Card Program (MMICP) was established to create a state-authorized medical marijuana identification card (MMIC), along with a registry database for verification of qualified patients and their primary caregivers. Participation by patients and primary caregivers in this MMICP is voluntary.
Medical Marijuana Program in Los Angeles County Environmental Health assists qualified patients and their primary caregivers with applications processing within the County of Los Angeles.
Qualified patients are exempted from state sales tax if they present a valid Medical Marijuana Identification Card issued by CDPH at the time of retail medical cannabis products purchase.
- Accepts and reviews applications for qualified patients and their caregivers.
- Notifies the state when qualified patients and their caregivers have submitted all the required documents and are ready to receive their medical identification cards.
- Distributes the medical identification cards to appropriate patients and their caregivers once they are received from the state.
Residents from Los Angeles County can apply for a medical marijuana ID card. Residents outside of Los Angeles County can contact their local government agency.
- Applications for new cards or renewal can be requested by mail. Submit completed application package with specified documents below along with a passport color photo (taken within one month).
Completed and signed application, along with required documents, and fee may be mailed to:
Attention: Medical Marijuana Program
Environmental Health Headquarters
5050 Commerce Drive
Baldwin Park, CA 91706
- Contact Medical Marijuana Program to make an appointment. No appointments will be processed after 4:00 p.m.
At the time of appointment
- Bring completed application package
- Pay application fees
- Ready to be photographed
Package includes the followings:
- Non-refundable application fee (Acceptable form of payment is money order, or cashier's check, made payable to County of Los Angeles)
- Passport color photo taken within one month (For Mail Submittal)
- Application/Renewal (CDPH-9042)
- Physician Attestation
- Medical documentation or Written Documentation of Patient's Medical Records (CDPH-9044)
- Acknowledgement Form
- Proof of Los Angeles County residency (Copy of current rent/mortgage agreement, California DMV vehicle registration, or recent utility bill. Please note P.O. Box address is not acceptable)
- Government issued photo identification (Valid and original government issued photo)
- If applicable, original Medi-Cal or Los Angeles County Medical Services (No Cost/Low cost Health Care) Program card
|Applicant||Without Caregiver||1 Caregiver||2 Caregivers||3 Caregivers|
|County Medical Services Program (CMSP)||$0.00||$0.00||$0.00||$0.00|
|Regular w/o Caregiver||$100.00|
|Regular w/ 1 Caregiver||$200.00|
|Regular w/ 2 Caregivers||$300.00|
|Regular w/ 3 Caregivers||$400.00|
|Medi-Cal Beneficiary w/o Caregiver||$50.00|
|Medi-Cal Beneficiary w/ 1 Caregiver||$100.00|
|Medi-Cal Beneficiary w/ 2 Caregivers||$150.00|
|Medi-Cal Beneficiary w/ 3 Caregivers||$200.00|
|County Medical Services Program (CMSP) w/o Caregiver||$0.00|
|County Medical Services Program (CMSP) w/ 1 Caregiver||$0.00|
|County Medical Services Program (CMSP) w/ 2 Caregivers||$0.00|
|County Medical Services Program (CMSP) w/ 3 Caregivers||$0.00|
Appointments are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the following locations:
Report a Problem
If your card is lost, damaged or stolen, please notify the Medical Marijuana Program at (866) 621-2204. To obtain a new card, an application will need to be submitted and fees paid.