About Environmental Hygiene and Assessment
The Environmental Hygiene and Assessment Program works to reduce exposures to toxic agents through consultation and collaborative efforts. The program also oversees noise regulations in unincorporated Los Angeles County related to industrial and commercial facilities and construction.
Loud noises can create stress, make it hard to sleep or concentrate, and damage hearing. Long-term exposure to noise can even increase chances of heart disease. There are rules about how loud noises can be and it is up to local government to enforce those rules.
Learn About Our Services
- Investigates noise/vibration complaints related to industrial and commercial facilities and construction in unincorporated Los Angeles County.
- Provides information and advisory/consultation as needed (site visits, blueprint reviews, environmental report reviews) regarding environmental hazards/stressors to the public.
- Reviews and assesses environmental impact reviews (EIRs) including CEQUA documents, CUPs, and initial studies as well as non-CEQUA environmental documents.
- Provides input on land use and environmental community safety issues.
- Indoor air quality guidance (e.g. mold, radon, ventilation, odors, water intrusion) to the public and to agencies during collaborative efforts.
Relevant Regulations, Plans, and Codes
- Los Angeles County General Plan 2035
- Los Angeles County Code of Ordinances Title 12 - Environmental Protection, Chapter 12.08 - Noise Control
- Information on Levels of Environmental Noise Requisite to Protect Public Health and Welfare with an Adequate Margin of Safety by The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Appendix D - Noise Element Guidelines by California Governor's Office of Planning and Research
- California Building Standards Code
- The Los Angeles Police Department Noise Enforcement Team
You May Be Interested In...
Report a Problem
For noise complaints in unincorporated LA County related to industrial and commercial facilities and construction - Call 213-738-3220. Cities within LA County have their own noise enforcement programs - call your city agency regarding the noise. For noise complaints in City of Los Angeles call the LAPD Noise Enforcement Team or Building and Safety.
Monday - Friday
8:00am - 5:00pm
Tel: (626) 430-9820
County of Los Angeles Public Health
Toxicology & Environmental Assessment Branch
Environmental Hygiene and Assessment Program