Beware of COVID-19 testing scams and fraud.
The Federal Trade Commission has information on how to avoid buying fake test kits online or get tricked into using
a scam testing location.
The Food and Drug Administration warns that counterfeit COVID-19 self-tests are being used and distributed in the US.
How can you tell if a test is real or fake?
Look at the box and materials for:
- poor quality images or text on the label or instructions
- missing key information, such as the lot number, expiration date, barcode or QR code (See
photos of examples
- click the name of test on the FDA webpage and scroll down to view)
- spelling or grammatical errors
- parts of the kit that do not match the description (for example, missing instructions, missing or empty components, different number of parts).
- trade name, labels, or instructions that look different from the authorized labeling on the FDA website:
At-Home OTC COVID-19 Diagnostic Tests | FDA
Learn more about counterfeit at-home COVID-19 diagnostic tests at this
If you think you found a fake COVID-19 pop-up site or bought a fake COVID-19 test, please report it to the Department of Consumer and Business Affairs at bit.ly/DCBAHelp or 1-800 593-8222.
Visit the PH COVID-19 scams and fraud webpage to find out
more about common
COVID-19 scams and fraud.
DO NOT USE THE FOLLOWING TESTS
here to see if your test might
- 4-29-22: Flowflex COVID-19 Antigen Home Tests
- 4-29-22: iHealth COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Test Kits
Note: As of 4-29-22, the FDA is not aware of any counterfeit tests distributed by the U.S. Government test distribution programs.
Do not use these tests that are
not authorized, cleared, or approved by the FDA.
- 5-17-22: Woodside Acquisitions, Inc. Oral Rapid SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Rapid Test Kits and Joysbio SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Rapid Test Kits (Colloidal Gold) Class 1 Recall
- 5-10-22: Skippack Medical Lab SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Rapid Test (Colloidal Gold) Class 1 Recall
- 3-17-22: SD Biosensor Inc. STANDARD Q COVID-19 Home
Ag Test Class | Recall
- 3-2-22: Celltrion DiaTrust COVID-19 Ag Rapid Test (green and white packaging).
- 3-1-22: ACON Laboratories Flowflex SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Rapid Test (Self-Testing).
- 2-4-22: E25Bio COVID-19 Direct Antigen Rapid Test.
- 1-28-22: Empowered Diagnostics CovClear COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Test and ImmunoPass
COVID-19 Neutralizing Antibody Rapid Test.
- 1-11-22: LuSys Laboratories COVID-19 Antigen Tests (may also be labeled Luscient Diagnostics, Vivera Pharmaceuticals, or EagleDx).
For more information, visit the FDA safety
If you are using a home-test kit, check the FDA's
website to make sure your test is authorized.
If you had a problem with a COVID test, please report it to FDA’s