National Public Health Accreditation and the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (DPH) intends to apply for national public health accreditation through the Public Health Accreditation Board (PHAB) in 2015. National public health accreditation involves measuring the performance of a health department using a defined set of standards. It is a key strategy in strengthening and unifying public health infrastructure as it supports the goals of improved quality, accountability, and credibility of public health practice.
Public Health Accreditation Board Standards and Measures (Version 1.5)
The framework for the PHAB’s Standards and Measures, adopted in December 2013, is based on the Three Core Functions of Public Health and the Ten Essential Public Health Services. The PHAB’s Standards and Measures are organized by 12 domains.
The Seven Steps of Public Health Department Accreditation:
|Domain 1: Assess||Domain 7:
Access to Care
|Domain 2: Investigate||Domain 8:
|Domain 3: Inform & Educate||Domain 9:
|Domain 4: Community Engagement||Domain 10:
|Domain 5: Policies & Plans||Domain 11:
|Domain 6: Public Health Laws||Domain 12:
For more information about national public health accreditation, visit www.phaboard.org
For more information about DPH’s Accreditation efforts, contact:
- Pre-application: Prepare and assess the health department’s readiness for accreditation, and inform PHAB of the health department’s intent to apply.
- Application: Submit the accreditation application form and fee.
- Documentation Selection and Submission: Select documentation for each measure and submit to PHAB.
- Site Visit: PHAB-trained site visitors conduct a site visit with the health department.
- Accreditation Decision: The PHAB Accreditation Committee reviews the site visit report and determines the accreditation status of the health department.
- Reports: Accredited health departments must submit annual reports.
- Reaccreditation: As accreditation status nears expiration, the health department applies for reaccreditation.
Donna Sze, MPH
Accreditation Manager County of Los Angeles, Department of Public Health
241 N. Figueroa Street, Suite 275
Los Angeles, CA 90012