Babies are born to breastfeed! While a mother’s milk provides the best nutrition for her baby, there are often barriers
preventing a new mother from feeling ready or comfortable breastfeeding her baby. The Breastfeeding Program wants to ensure
that women and families have access to breastfeeding education and support in the clinics and hospitals, at work or school,
and in every community.
To increase the percentage of infants in LA County who are breastfed
- Raise awareness about
the importance of breastfeeding
- Partner with hospitals serving low-income communities in Los Angeles County to develop policies that support
breastfeeding for new mothers and to achieve Baby-Friendly designation
- Partner with community clinics to promote breastfeeding and provide breastfeeding education in both the prenatal
and early postpartum periods.
- Engage with employers to improve
workplace support for nursing mothers
- Continue to enforce the countywide lactation accommodation policy to support nursing mothers who return to work
at the County
Highlights & Successes
California hospital breastfeeding data for 2014 showed
a significant increase in exclusive breastfeeding from
49.3% (2012) to 53.3% (2013) for LA County!
- There are currently numerous Baby Friendly
hospitals in LA County and many more are beginning
the process with help from the Department of Public
First 5 LA .
- On July 31, 2012, the LA Board of Supervisors passed a Motion to encourage all hospitals in LA County to achieve Baby
Friendly designation and to encourage all employers to adopt workplace lactation accommodation policies.
- Los Angeles City Hall opened its first ever official lactation room on August 15, 2012!
Resource & Links
For Health Professionals
- Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine (ABM)
organization of physicians dedicated to the promotion,
protection and support of breastfeeding and human
California Department of Health Services Breastfeeding
Program - Reports and publications including hospital
breastfeeding statistical tables by county
California WIC Association
- Breastfeeding advocacy
initiatives that increase initiation and duration of
breastfeeding, particularly exclusive breastfeeding, as
well as greater acceptance of breastfeeding as the
- BreastfeedLA - Dedicated to improving the health and
well being of infants and families through education,
outreach, and advocacy to promote and support
American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Recommendations on
Breastfeeding for Healthy Term Infants (PDF File)
Breastfeeding Pharmacology - Breastfeeding and
medications forum, hosted by Dr. Thomas Hale, R.Ph.,
Ph.D., International registry for lactation research
Ad Council National Breastfeeding Awareness Campaign -
Download "Baby's were born to be breastfed" Public
Service Announcement video/audio clips and print ads
Recent and Upcoming Events
For a list of upcoming events please visit:
Breastfeed LA Calendar of Events
California Breastfeeding Summit
See highlights from the LA County Breastfeeding Summit on October 16, 2014! Drs. Gilchick and King spoke about county breastfeeding
overcoming racial disparities.
Breastfeeding Policy Analyst