Substance Abuse Prevention and Control

Access to Care (R95)

SUD systems are serving about 5% of people who need treatment because the other 95% of people who need SUD treatment are typically not interested in services. The Reaching the 95% Initiative (R95) is designed to ensure that SAPC’s specialty SUD system is designed not just for people who are already interested in services, but is also focusing on the 95% of people with SUDs who are not accessing care. Under R95, there are 6 Incentive Options in two Focus Areas that agencies can participate in and draw down by meeting specified benchmarks and activity-related deliverables:

  • Focus Area 1: Outreach and engagement
  • Focus Area 2: Establishing low barrier care
*2C-2 (Verified 30/60 -Day Policy Claims), *2D-1 (Admission Policy) and 2D-2 (Discharge Policy) must be completed to participate in R95 Capacity Building.
Earn Incentives. Become an R95 Champion. Click here to learn how!


2A. Preparation and Planning for Outreach and Engagement
Capacity Building 2A is designed to prepare and implement an outreach and engagement plan to better reach and enroll the 95% of individuals by cultivating and educating partnerships within community and health/social service providers to outreach people at different stages of readiness.

2B. Field-Based Services for Outreach and Engagement
Capacity Building 2B can build upon relationships developed under 2A and leverages new community-based locations that already attract the focus population (individuals needing services without current abstinence goals) to establish FBS sites to divert staff from delivering direct services and instead cover some expenses.

2C. 30- and 60-Day Engagement Period for Outreach and Engagement
Capacity Building 2C leverages new State allowances to establish medical necessity and complete the ASAM assessment within 30-days for adults (21+), and 60-days for youth (12-20) and adults experiencing homelessness in non-residential facilities to engage individuals who need SUD services but who may be ambivalent or not ready to receive care in a more traditional treatment setting. Development and conducted trainings for staff to ensure understanding of changes throughout organization.

2D. Establishing Lower Barrier Care Across the SUD System
Capacity Building 2D focus is on how agencies can more meaningfully attract and engage individuals who are not interested in or ready for complete abstinence into services by addressing barriers to care across the specialty SUD treatment system by establishing discharge policies that do not result in an automatic discharge if clients use substances during a treatment episode and facilitate a culture of treating SUDs as chronic conditions by allowing for clients who use substances during treatment an opportunity to continue with treatment; and that direct service staff and managers are trained and adopt changes.

2E. Service Design for Lower Barrier Care
Capacity Building 2E supports providers in adapting the program services to align with the treatment needs of individuals who want to participate in services but are not ready to maintain abstinence. Providers should develop a plan to monitor implementation of new changes to ensure staff adopt and embrace changes and that patients actually experience the new model from first contact and throughout journey.

2F. Bidirectional Referrals for Lower Barrier Care
Capacity Building 2F supports providers in establishing bidirectional referral relationships between their treatment sites and harm reduction agencies to promote new admissions in alignment with updated admission and discharge policies.

Public Health has made reasonable efforts to provide accurate translation. However, no computerized translation is perfect and is not intended to replace traditional translation methods. If questions arise concerning the accuracy of the information, please refer to the English edition of the website, which is the official version.
Los Angeles County Seal: Enriching lives through effective and caring services

Become an R95 Champion

To receive the R95 Champion incentive, complete ALL of 2C and 2D (in Green), AND ALL of 1 category (in Blue) below:

2C: 30-60-Day Engagement (Required)
2C-1 (Engagement Policy)
2C-2 (Verified 30/60-Day Claims
2D: Update A&D Policies (required)
2D-1 (Admission Policy)
2D-2 (Discharge Policy)
Select 1
2A Engagement (2A-1, 2A-2, 2A-3)
2A-1 (New Partner Meetings)
2A-2 (Plan)
2A-3 (MOU)
Select 1
2B FBS (2B-1, 2B-2)
2B-1 (MOU)
2B-2 (Verified Claims)
Select 1
2E Service Design (2E-1, 2E-2 and 2E-3)
2E-1 (Service Design)
2E-2 (Customer Walkthrough)
2E-3 (Plan)
Select 1
2F Bidirectional Referrals (2F-1, 2F-2)
2F-1 (MOU)
2F-2 (Verified Claims)