Welcome to the Los Angeles County
Be Active Resource Directory!
This directory has been created for the residents of Los Angeles County to promote physical activity and access to healthy foods.
It is the result of the combined efforts of the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health Nutrition Program and the Network for a Healthy California--Los Angeles Region.
Listed in this directory is information on nutrition and physical activity resources located throughout Los Angeles County. In addition, a wide variety of internet resources are included.
Principal funding for this directory is from the USDA Food Stamp Program through the Network for a Healthy California, which is an initiative of the California Department of Public Health.
Most resources featured are available free or at low cost. This directory is not all-inclusive and will be updated periodically. If you have nutrition or activity-related resources too add to the directory, call Carly Marino at 213-351-7851 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Organizations and resources listed in this directory have not been paid to be listed and their inclusion in the directory should not be viewed as an endorsement by the California Department of Public Health, the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health or the Network for a Healthy California.
Last updated: September 2011
Be Active In Your Service Planning Area (SPA)!
- PHYSICAL ACTIVITY RESOURCES - SPA 1 - ANTELOPE VALLEY
- PHYSICAL ACTIVITY RESOURCES - SPA 2 - SAN FERNANDO
- PHYSICAL ACTIVITY RESOURCES - SPA 3 - SAN GABRIEL
- PHYSICAL ACTIVITY RESOURCES - SPA 4 - METRO
- PHYSICAL ACTIVITY RESOURCES - SPA 5 - WEST
- PHYSICAL ACTIVITY RESOURCES - SPA 6 - SOUTH
- PHYSICAL ACTIVITY RESOURCES - SPA 7 - EAST
- PHYSICAL ACTIVITY RESOURCES - SPA 8 - SOUTH BAY
- NUTRITION RESOURCES
- INTERNET RESOURCES
Los Angeles County is divided into eight Service Planning Areas known as SPAs. Each SPA has an Area Health Office that is responsible for planning public health and clinical services according to the health needs of the local communities. Some examples of activities include:
- Providing services through Department of Health Services clinics and community partners.
- Promoting health & preventing disease through the Department of Public Health.
- Assessing health needs of local communities.
- Collaborating with community groups to improve the health of all Angeleno residents.
A map on the next page illustrates the geographic division of Los Angeles County by SPA in greater detail.
For convenience, the physical activity resources in this directory are listed by SPA and nutrition resources are listed by service type.