Goal: To reduce food insecurity in LA County.
Vision: Create institutional changes that ensure vulnerable people in LA County have sufficient, nutritious and affordable food.
- Educating community members on how to navigate federal food assistance programs and other nutrition and food resources.
- Informing organizations and elected officials on food insecurity, federal food assistance programs and other nutrition and food resources.
- Empowering community members to share their stories with the media, policymakers and key stakeholders.
- Increasing interagency coordination among healthcare, community-based organizations and government agencies.
- Collaborated with Women, Infants and Children (WIC), Department of Public and Social Services (DPSS) and Office of Immigrant Affairs to host a Facebook Live chat in Spanish on healthy eating and how WIC and CalFresh can help people buy healthy food. The chat had nearly 1,900 views.
- Created WIC + CalFresh, Better Together flyer that has been disseminated to over 15,000 community members and staff.
- Integrated 2 Champions for Change public service announcement campaigns (Be Better and Not My Kids) into WIC nutrition education classes. Be Better had over 136,000 impressions; Not My Kids had over 135,000 impressions.