What is West Nile Virus?
West Nile virus is spread by bites of infected mosquitoes and spreads during warm weather months when mosquitoes are most active. Everyone is at risk for West Nile virus. People over age 50 and those with health problems are at greater risk of serious illness, even death.
How to Prevent West Nile Virus Infection
It is important that everyone takes actions to protect themselves from West Nile virus.
- Avoid mosquito bites
- Use mosquito spray, wipes or lotion when outside.
- Choose repellent that is Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) registered and contains DEET, Picaridin or IR3535 as ingredients.
Keep mosquitoes out of your home
- Maintain your door and window screens in good condition.
- Get rid of places where mosquitoes lay eggs
- Mosquitoes can breed in very small amounts of water, even bottle caps.
- Check for and remove all items where water collects. Dump and drain water from potted plants, pet water bowls and bird baths.