Serving a diverse population of 10 million, the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (DPH) has an annual budget exceeding $940 million, and a staff of over 4,000.
DPH is committed to protecting and improving the health of the residents of Los Angeles County with a variety of programs. Areas in DPH where physicians work include HIV and STD; Tuberculosis Control; Immunization; Acute Communicable Disease Control; Community Health Services, Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention; Maternal, Child and Adolescent Health; Women’s Health; Environmental Health; Emergency Preparedness and Response; Children’s Medical Services; and Health Assessment and Epidemiology.
DPH runs 14 health centers throughout the County that provide services for Tuberculosis, Sexually Transmitted Diseases, Immunizations, and Refugee Health.
DPH physicians apply their training in medicine, education, prevention, and population science to provide a range of services such as:
- Developing plans and conducting policy analyses that address the health of communities or populations
- Evaluating the effectiveness, accessibility, and quality of health services
- Investigating or overseeing the investigation of disease outbreaks
- Providing consultation or direct patient care for communicable diseases
- Educating physicians and other health care professionals
- Collaborating with state and national agencies on health initiatives
- Participating in research and teaching opportunities with leading universities
- Participating in emergency response planning
- Monitoring and improving environmental health
In addition to the satisfaction of knowing that your work contributes to the health of patients and communities, Los Angeles County Department of Public Health offers an attractive compensation program that includes many benefits.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Life insurance
- Accidental death & dismemberment insurance
- Short and long-term disability insurance
- Long-term disability health insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Work injury compensation
- Wellness program
- Lactation support
- Americans with Disability Act Accommodations
- Commuter benefits program
- Training and career development
- Union representation
- Variety of available work locations
- Negotiable salary (commensurate with experience)
- 40-hour work week with flexible work schedules
- Overtime reimbursed with time off
- Board certification bonus
- Home based-on-call opportunities
- Mileage reimbursement program
- 11 paid holidays
- Up to 6 weeks of vacation
- 80 hours paid leave annually for CME
- Military and jury leave
- Defined benefit retirement plans
- Defined contribution retirement plans with up to 4% county match
- Health care spending account
- Subsidized dependent care spending account
We are the nation’s most populous county and home to a vibrant ethnic mix. Our population is larger than that of 42 states, and more than 100 languages are spoken here.
What else can you enjoy?
- Great weather
- Easy access to beaches, mountains and deserts
- Exciting shopping, dining and nightlife
- Outstanding arts and culture
- Endless recreational opportunities
- Award-winning professional and collegiate sports teams
- Prestigious universities and technology schools
To find out more about physician job opportunities
email or call the Division of Medical and Dental Affairs office: 213-989-7236.
To return to the main Physician Employment page click