LA county text County Directory of Information & Services | Public Alerts | Public Information | County Contact Information

County of Los Angeles Public Health Logo

Environmental Health
Public Health EH Building


Tell Us How We're Doing
How to Find Us
County of Los Angeles
Department of Public Health
Environmental Health
5050 Commerce Drive
Baldwin Park, CA 91706
(888) 700-9995

get adobe reader image

Adobe Reader
Note: PDF documents on this site were created using Adobe Acrobat 5.0 or later. If you are using an earlier version of Adobe Acrobat Reader (4.x or less), document functionality may be reduced. Please Click Here


If your community event is serving or selling food, the participating event organizer and temporary food facilities, including food booths, trucks and carts, are required to obtain a Community Event/Seasonal Event Permit from Environmental Health and be in compliance with the California Retail Food Code (Cal Code). The Environmental Health Division has prepared the Health Code Requirements for Community Events in LA County for event organizers and food service operators. We have also developed the Community Event Requirements Checklist as an overview of the responsibilities of temporary food facilities and event organizers. Below are links and information on the permit process for Community Events.

Event Organizer

The event organizer is responsible for the complete and timely submission of a Community Event Organizer Application and all the applications for temporary food facilities at least 30 days prior to the start of the event.

Temporary Food Facilities

Temporary food facilities (TFF) that participate at community events include food booths, food carts and food trucks. TFFs must complete the Community Event Temporary Food Facility Application and, if applicable, the Agreement for Sharing of a Permitted Food Facility.

Where to Apply and Pay for a Permit

To obtain a food permit for a community event, the completed application may be submitted for review to the local District Office with jurisdiction over the location of the event. Please see the List of District Offices. Fees must be paid at the time the application is submitted. The Community Event Fee Schedule provides additional information regarding fee payment.

Mobile Food Facilities (MFF)

Food trucks and food carts with a current Los Angeles County Permit may, if approved by the event organizer, participate at any community event. MFFs not currently permitted by Los Angeles County must obtain a permit by submitting a Community Event Temporary Food Facility Application.

Exemptions From Permit Fees and/or Cal Code

To request a permit fee or Cal Code exemption, please complete the Exemption Certification for Community Events. The completed application may be submitted by email or fax to the Division Community Event Coordinator at at least 30 days before the event start. Within 10 calendar days, the Division will contact you and advise if you meet the exemption requirements.

Expedited Processing Fee

Due to the time required to process and review a community event application, all applicants are encourage to submit their applications at least 30 days prior to the start of the event. Any application submitted less than 14 calendar days prior to the start of the event will be subjected to an additional expedited processing fee equal to the greater of $50.00 or 25% of the permit fee. A fee exempt applicant will be assessed an expedited processing fee if the exemption application is submitted less than14 calendar days prior to the start of the event.

Resources and Additional Information

Health Code Requirements for Community Events in LA County

Community Event Requirements Checklist

For further inquiries regarding community events, please contact the District Office in your area.

Back to Environmental Health's Home Page
email icon    Email Us
Pay for your Public Health
Permit or License by credit card
To pay for your Public Health Permit and/or License with a Visa, Mastercard, American Express, or Discover card, please click here .

A 2.25% convenience fee per transaction will apply. Please have your Account ID and your Facility ID numbers from your billing statement ready. Payment will only be accepted online for the total amount owed on an account. Terms and Conditions apply. For more information about Permit and License Billing, please click here .
Areas of Interest
Popular Links
arrow 2013-2014 License/Permit Fees pdf icon

arrow Beware: Health Inspector Imposters pdf icon

arrow Body Art

arrow Booklets/Guides:

arrow Certified Food Handler & Manager:

arrow Community Events

arrow Cottage Food Operation

arrow Drinking Water Report

arrow Facility Ratings

arrow Facility Closures

arrow Food Recalls 

arrow All Recalls on 2015:

arrow Guidelines for Safe Food Donation pdf icon

arrow Inspect Your Home Kitchen

arrow Mobile Food Facility Route Sheet pdf icon

arrow Motion Picture Catering Operation Permit

arrow Pet Dogs in Outdoor Dining Areas pdf icon

arrow Plan Check Guides:

arrow Radiation:

arrow Swimming Pool Inspection Details

arrow Swimming Pool Closure List

arrow What to Expect as a Food Operator pdf icon
Director of Environmental Health
Angelo J. Bellomo
Director's Biography
Los Angeles County Seal: Enriching lives through effective and caring services