Physicians CME Certificate
This enduring material has been approved for 4 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™.
Release date: September 13, 2018. Review date: September 13, 2019. Termination date: September 13, 2020.
Continuing Medical Education Credit(s)
Physicians – to obtain a CME Certificate, read the article and/or supplements and click here.
Other Health Care Providers – to obtain a Certificate of Attendance, read the article and/or supplements and click here.
As cannabis use increases in Los Angeles County, it is important that health care providers ask about cannabis use and be prepared to have informed discussions with their patients. The main article is designed to educate health care providers on the most clinically relevant cannabis issues and covers the following cannabis topics:
- Legal Status
- Medical and Legal Considerations
- Drug Interactions
- Health Effects: Summary of the Evidence
- Asking Patients About Cannabis Use
- Educating Patients Regarding Responsible Use and Risks
The supplemental articles provide more in-depth information on specific topics
The target audience is all primary care health care providers in Los Angeles County.
At the conclusion of the article, participants will be able to:
- Discuss the different age limits and requirements for purchasing/using medicinal and non-medicinal cannabis
- List reasons why persons over 21 may want a physician’s recommendation for cannabis.
- Learn the pharmacology of Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD).
- List the conditions for which there is substantial evidence of therapeutic effectiveness of cannabis.
- Discuss the evidence of harms associated with cannabis use.
- Describe current cannabis products and method of consumption.
- Identify patient populations at highest risk for potential harms from cannabis use.
- Describe how to ask patients for cannabis use and identify possible misuse or use disorders.
- Discuss the importance of patient education and available resources regarding responsible use and risks of cannabis.
- Describe trends in cannabis use among adult residents in LA County.
Authors of Cannabis
Articles (except report)
Eloisa Gonzalez, MD, MPH - Director, Cardiovascular and School Health* and Director, Integrative Medicine, The Wellness Center at LA County Historic General Hospital.**
Gary Tsai, MD, FAPA, FASAM - Medical Director and Science Officer, Substance Abuse Prevention and Control.*
Jeff Chen MD, MBA - Director, Cannabis Research Initiative***
Sarah Guerry, MD - Chief, Medical Education and Communication.*
Authors of Cannabis Report (Recent Trends in Adult Use of Marijuana)
William Nicholas, MPH, PhD - Director, Center for Health Impact Evaluation, Office of Health Assessment and Epidemiology.*
Amy Lightstone, MPH, MA - Chief, Epidemiology and Data
Coordination Unit, Office of Health Assessment and Epidemiology .*
*County of Los Angeles, Department of Public Health
**County of Los Angeles, Department of Health Services
***University of California, Los Angeles.
|The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health is accredited by the
California Medical Association (CMA) to
provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health designates this enduring activity for a maximum of 4 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Other learners may receive a Certificate of attendance. According to the California Board of Registered Nursing, Continuing Medical Education is acceptable for meeting RN continuing education requirements, as long as the course is Category 1, and has been taken within the appropriate time frames.
No relevant financial relationships were disclosed by the authors or the planners.
This activity is offered by an accredited CMA-CME provider and is not commercially supported.
If you have questions, please contact Eloisa Gonzalez MD, MPH at Elgonzalez@ph.lacounty.gov.